There’s nothing worse than being stuck in a hot summer day in Lombard, IL, or Winfield, IL, with a faulty air conditioner (AC). However, maintaining an AC doesn’t always have to be a task for an HVAC contractor. In many cases, you can perform simple maintenance tasks to ensure your AC keeps running smoothly. Here are some DIY AC maintenance tips from Mel-O-Air.
1. **Clean or Replace the Filters:** Filters are critical for efficient air conditioning. Dirty filters not only reduce your AC’s efficiency, but they can also contribute to bigger issues like ice build-up or complete system failure. Typically, checking your filter once per month and replacing it every 2-3 months is recommended.
2. **Inspect the Wiring and Components:** Before manipulating any wiring, ensure the system is shut off. You can then inspect the access panel for any signs of overheating. Note – if you’re uncomfortable with this step, it’s recommended to engage an AC repair professional in Glendale Heights, IL, or Glen Ellyn, IL.
3. **Check the Condenser Unit Fan:** Over time, the fan on the outdoor condenser unit can become damaged. If that happens, you need to replace it. Remember to turn off your AC before inspecting the fan.
4. **Clean the Outside Unit:** This entails removing debris around the unit and cleaning it. Over time, dirt, leaves, and grass clippings can build up around the AC, reducing its capacity and airflow.
5. **Check the Thermostat:** Ensure your thermostat is working correctly. It should be set at a comfortable temperature and switch on/off at appropriate times.
While these tips will help for regular maintenance, more complex issues like refrigerant leaks or extensive repairs should be left to an AC company. Luckily, Mel-O-Air provides top-quality air conditioning service in Carol Stream, IL, and Warrenville, IL.
Remember, regular maintenance not only saves you from costly repairs, but it also extends your AC’s lifespan and optimizes its efficiency. Whether you’re a dedicated DIY enthusiast or just trying to save some money, taking care of your AC is a good practice. However, whenever in doubt or faced with intricate repairs, it’s best to engage an HVAC contractor from a reputable AC company, such as Mel-O-Air.